5.09.2013

The Faces: Electric Fence



I cannot take the warm and friendly faces
That I in turn will greet with smiling glow
And calculated social paces. I will dance this dance,
For what? There is a barrier to our closeness
That we will never breach.
I cannot take this happy toddler and her sticky chubby cheeks;
She tells me she loves me with reasons plentiful in garbled child speak.


Resignation stains the conversation; jokes are forced
And met with consternation. I can’t react the way I’d like.


I focus, instead, on the untucked hair that frizzes forth from your head
With no care to decorum, modesty; the little things we do to show
We know our worth:
Shirt tails out--
Jeans and sandals--
Forgotten details on display like internet handles clad in public privacy.


I hate that time is so little and wasted when I can’t cut straight
To the meat-- to the heart skipping along with this desire
to be your child
And kiss you sloppy sweet--
To hold your hand and listen, looking both ways
Down each street. I wish that we could meet.


I cannot take the chubby cheeks of little girls--
The grins I know will dim after lifetimes of knowledge
Begin to take and hurl these barriers anew.
I will get to watch and say how “finally she grew
Some sense” and feel the withdrawal of tiny hands
Careful not to touch this electric fence of distance we dispense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?